FORT DODGE, Iowa – Midland University’s swim teams traveled to Fort Dodge, Iowa over the weekend to swim in a meet hosted by Iowa Central Community College. Joining the Warriors and Tritons were the men and women from Olivet Nazarene University and the men from South Dakota State University. Each school competed against the others in a dual format.
Midland’s men’s team picked up a victory over Olivet Nazarene (106-99) and lost to South Dakota State (152-53) and to Iowa Central (150-55). The women dropped both of their duals to Olivet Nazarene (162-37) and to Iowa Central (130-50).
Tyler Penney picked up the lone win for the Warriors individually. He won the men’s 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:08.63. Scott Cain had a second place finish in the men’s 100 yard freestyle (48.29) and finished third in the 50 yard freestyle (21.16).
“The scores don’t reflect how close the meet actually was. We were just off on a couple of races,” commented head coach Ryan Bubb. “If a couple of touches had gone our way, I think the meet would have been a lot closer on both the men’s and women’s side. What I really liked to see was the fight and heart the team gave. We had a really tough week of training and they did a good job of pushing through. Even at the end I saw a lot of drive, desire, and determination. This is a very special team and they have a very bright future.”
Other Midland swimmers with top five finishes were:
– Rianna Mueller – 1000 yd. freestyle; 4th – 12:00.89
– Caleb Miller – 1000 yd. freestyle; 4th – 10:16.19
– Anna Windedahl – 200 yd. butterfly; 4th – 2:53.88
– Nerissa Wagner – 200 yd. backstroke; 4th – 2:24.57
– Abby Bruck – 50 yd. freestyle; 5th – 26.87
– Kadisyn Kircher – 400 yd. individual medley; 5th – 5:07.69
– Abby Bruck – 100 yd. freestyle; 5th – 58.76
– Kadisyn Kircher – 500 yd. freestyle; 5th – 5:42.42
– Caleb Miller – 500 yd. freestyle; 5th – 4:57.29
– Gracie Lefholz – 200 yd. breaststroke; 5th – 2:45.92
Midland will be back in action at home this weekend as they host Iowa Lakes and Tabor College for a triangular meet. Meet time is set for 2:00 p.m. inside Dillon Family Aquatic Center in Fremont, Nebraska.